Monday, January 22, 2007

My Child - My Pet?

While researching something else, I stumbled upon a couple of "child-free" websites. No, I don't mean something x-rated or anything of that nature. These were online communities that have decided - some at ages as early as 19 - that they never, ever wanted children. Some reasons included trying to avoid passing on genetic problems and being too emotionally unstable. I was dumbfounded, however, that the majority of posts compared children to pets. And in these cases, pets were held in higher regard.

When I came upon the site, the 2006 Holiday season was soon approaching and there was a lot of chatter regarding bringing their pets along. "If my sister can bring her annoying kids to Thanksgiving dinner, why can't I bring Fido." This was brought up several times and the literally meant "bring Fido to dinner." That is, set him a place at the table. Someone else would chime in and complain that her two Labrador retrievers had to be put outside during dinner while her brother's food-throwing, milk-spilling, sneeze-on-my-food toddler sat next to her.

Now, I can certainly understand wanting some "adult only" time at some point and an out of control child shouldn't ruin dinner. However, we're talking about a family gathering and children who are "the future" of our families and nation. Will Fido help support their future economy and future retirement years?

I guess we should be grateful that Fido's human parents are not reproducing. And for the record, I love the Fidos of the world. I would just rather play a game of fetch after dinner versus help him slurp his apple cider at the Thanksgiving table.

WAHParents, keep up the good work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home