Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Can I Blame You?

When you run your own business and with few exceptions serve every role in the company, who do you blame when something goes wrong?

When I leave town for the weekend (typicallywith the kids), I always bring my laptop in the hopes of getting a little extra work done. This past weekend, we made our little trip and while packing up ton leave in the midst chaos, I neglected to pack up the power supply to the laptop.

Okay, no big deal, things could be a lot worse in life. Overall, the power supply could be mailed and be in my hands in 2-3 days, but there was the possibility that I could find one and have a spare right away. Also, we have 2 other computers in the house that could be used if I transferred all the data over, but that would take 1-2 hours of time I didn't really have. So, I proceeded to find one in town. It was going to cost me over $80, but considering the time I'd save, I decided it was worth it. The only problem was, no one had it in stock. So, after wasting a good hour, it was time to spend another 2 hours or so getting another computer set up.

In situations like these, I only wish I was back at the large corporate office where a technician would take care of this for me while I worked on something else. I am certainly glad that I can take care of everything that needs to be done for the business, but just like with parenting, I only have 2 hands and my sanity tank is usually running on empty.

So, I ended up forfeiting over 3 hours of time (of which I don't have much of to begin with) so that I could have a functioning computer. When I get my original power-house-of-a-computer back, I will need to synchronize my data again. In the grand scheme of things, this really isn't a big deal, but it can be extremely frustrating. The worst part is that there is no one else to blame but myself. And the ironic thing is, when things go correctly, money is coming in and miraculously there is equal time for everything in our humble family life, the WAHP doesn't get all the credit - it's just life as usual. Sounds a little like Motherhood to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home