Monday, December 04, 2006

How did I get here?

Working my second job as a biomedical engineer for another great company, my life and career were great! I had been married about 5 years by then (yes, looking back, getting married at 21 seems so young now) and had a great group of friends that were all childless. We were all finally out of college and making some money. We could do much of what we wanted when we wanted. A call would come in at 9pm on a Tuesday night to go bowling and within a half hour 8 of us would be there. So that was a good time to start having kids, right?

I worked full time throughout my first pregnancy (and then some) as I went into my 42nd week of pregnancy. My husband jokes that we are both so stubborn that neither of us would make the first "move." Anyway, I had everything planned out - go back to work after 12 weeks off with my husband and I each working four 10 hour days so that our child would only be in someone else's care 3 days a week. A family member and school teacher who was off for the summer watched our daughter for the first 2.5 months and it was perfect. Our second babysitter was a friend of the family, but for various reasons I won't discuss here right now, we had reasons to believe our daughter was not safe at that residence.

My well thought out plans were coming unraveled. I found a short term solution, but came to the conclusion that daycare was just not going to work out at that time. All of my immediate family lived several hours away and none of hour friends even had kids of their own yet, so I was looking at a daycare facility in a large city for an infant. That I just couldn' t do.

I had been selling on ebay "for fun" for about a year and decided that I could make enough extra money to justify staying home. [Keep in mind that this was back in 2000 and ebay was a lot different that it is today]. That is at least until I felt comfortable putting our daughter in a larger daycare facility. However, as that time approached, I became pregnant with our second child and I realized I was in this WAH situation for the long haul.

To be continued . . . [If you're still interested]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home