Sunday, April 22, 2007

When a sale is just not worth it.

So I run this small business - mostly out of my home. The business is small, but the money is very good as far as we are concerned. I'm happy. I guess then it should be a compliment when customers or organizations think I'm much bigger than I am. It is - until they start wanting things from you - for free.

More often than you'd think, I get requests for donations - large and small. I have no problem with this if it is within our means. However, there are a couple of things I look for - some of them maybe a little selfish, but this is a business after all. If I'm going to donate to someone for which I will receive no advertising, I prefer it be local and/or for someone or some event to which I have a personal connection. For example, my kid's school, our church, a local family, etc.

I would personally never have the nerve to do this, but more often than not, the requests I receive are from people I have never met from across the country. The story is usually touching. They want the items for underprivileged families, someone who has a terminal illness, etc. I would LOVE to be able to help anyone and everyone with everything if I could, but seriously, I am not rolling in money and how do I even know these situations are legitimate. Isn't that why people prefer to donate to large charities that in turn donate to individuals.

The few times I've agreed, it is under specific circumstances and honestly, I usually wish I never had. The reason for this attitude is that because in almost in every situation I spend an incredible amount of time "hand-holding" these "customers." Sometimes I spend more time with these people than I do with 6 months worth of regular customers. I won't get into the details of what I mean by "hand holding," but you'd think that after getting something for free (or nearly free), they'd be grateful and would simply say thank-you and move on.

I hope this doesn't seem like a pathetic rant, but such requests have become more and more frequent. I can handle dealing with larger organizations, but it's the small requests that are difficult. I suppose those asking figure that such a small request would mean nothing to us, but they don't realize the frequency of those requests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home