Monday, May 26, 2008

I will be honest with you . . .

This is how I start out many of my responses to acquaintances and strangers that ask about certain aspects of what I do. I have an online business and unlike what people expect I should be doing, I don't were a t-shirt randomly in public that advertises the business, I don't have a window decal in my car with the website info and I don't hand a business card out to anyone I see or speak to regardless of the situation. That's not to say I don't ever do an of these things as I have a worn a shirt with my business name and have business cards and brochures available when I do demonstrations, etc.

So where am I going with this and what am I being "honest" about when people wonder why I don't do these things? "Don't you want to promote your business?" is what is asked of me. Sure I do, BUT I don't want to be asked by just anyone how much money I make, can they get free products, how they can get started doing the exact same thing, where I get those "nifty little sample containers," do I really make any money at all, who designed and built my website (I did, by the way and I'm not for hire) and on and on. These are the types of questions I get when people know what I do. It's never, how much for such and such product.

The honesty part comes in when I don't think having those types of advertisements are worth the possible very few sales I may be missing. So if you ever hear me saying to someone, "do you honestly think I want to give you business advice while I pump gas and we listen to my crying infant and 4 & 6 yr old boys argue over who can or cannot see the airplane trail in the sky," you better back away.

By the way, don't take any of what I say as business advice. I don't do much of anything that the "experts" recommend.

On this Memorial Day, thanks to all service men and women, past and present. May God bless you and your family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home