Saturday, October 27, 2007

Man, Woman or the Missing Wheel

Just as I was about to leave to volunteer on the playground at my kids' school, I remembered that I had forgotten to put the stroller in the back of the van for the baby. Already bordering on being late, I quickly ran into the garage and "threw" the double stroller in to the back of the van.
Once we arrived at the school and I was setting up the stroller, I noticed one of the front double swivel wheels was missing. Right at that moment, before I had even fully comprehended what was in front of me, one of the other volunteers (who happens to be a man) approached me. He saw me looking in the direction of the missing wheel and once he realized what I was looking at, he stated something similar to, "wow, look at that - it's standing on it's own with only 3 wheels." He then gave it a push and mentioned that unless a child was going to sit in the front seat (which I wasn't planning on as my baby sits in the rear reclining seat) it didn't seem to affect the stroller at all. He walked away to head over to the playground.

As I was thinking to myself that, yeah, I guess it will still work. I most definitely didn't have time to do anything about it. It was ridiculous looking and I assumed people would think I'm a little nuts, but it's certainly better than no stroller and therefore leaving the infant in the carseat/carrier (which she hates when not in motion) or carrying her around myself. Just then, an acquaintance of mine walked past as she was leaving the school and started laughing. I guess she agreed with me. She then asked me how it happened, what was I going to do about it, maybe I wasn't going to be able to "work" the playground that day and other things of that nature. Well, that as a fine how do you do - was she trying to break my volunteer spirit?

As I mentioned, I didn't have much of a choice, so I put the baby in the rear seat and went on went about my way. As I avoiding flying footballs, swinging jump ropes and the occasional "the boys are chasing me" squeal from a 3rd grader, I was in deep thought about my missing wheel (okay, not really, but it did cross my mind whenever a child would let me know my wheel had fallen off).

As in life, business and relationships, things happen and there's not much you can do about it. I think there is that phrase about how life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react and/or deal with it. So in this example, are you the man, woman or are you still looking for that missing wheel?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home