Friday, March 21, 2008

The Underwear Order

A lot of times you will hear people say that they would love to work at home so that they (among other things) could work in their underwear. After five plus years running a business out of my home (for the most part), I'd have to ask why would anyone want to do that? Sweats or shorts maybe, but underwear?

I don't know about anyone else, but I have kids with me most of the time and someone unexpectedly coming to the door at least once a day. I don't even want to look at myself partially naked every time I pass a mirror and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to do so. Also, I can just see them telling the clerk at the super market that their mom's uniform consists of white granny pants. For that, matter what about the occupational hazards? I may bend over and get something caught in my tape gun.

So fast forward to spring break week. The kids are at Grandma's for a couple of days so the schedule is a little more casual. I stayed up until 2 or 4 in the morning working on extra projects and didn't get up until 8 or 9am. The business officially "opens" for phone calls at 9am so this morning I was barely awake and barely dressed when the first call came in. So now I can officially say that I have worked in my underwear. It was even a sale, so I can even say that I officially made money in only my underwear. I wonder how that would go over at "show-in-tell" in Kindergarten during "tell us about your parents work" week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the DVD e CD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dvd-e-cd.blogspot.com. A hug.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Michelle R said...

Working from home brings many challenges but work uniform is not one of the challenges. As you pointed out most of us love the idea of working in anything we like to wear. I wouldn't say working in my underwear is a goal of mine but shorts and a t-shirt is good. We live in the country so clothing is optional every day. LOL! I was really disappointed when you didn't have any pictures to go with your post. A stick man, or woman in your case, would have been more than appropriate. Most times you will find me working in my pajamas. It seems that as soon as I jump out of bed in the morning I have something urgent that needs tending to before I even get my morning coffee.

My favorite is when work at home parents take the phone into the bathroom with them. It's so obvious that's where they are.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home